Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Silence

Do you ever sit there as just enjoy the silence? Actually take a moment and not do anything and just sit in silence? The reason I ask this is because I never really do. I can remember a time when I actually had some time that was silent- but that was a long time ago. The fact is I often can't stand silence. I need to hear something- whether it is the sound of my fingers on the keyboard as I type this or the humm of the TV. The problem with silence is it makes me feel guilty. Like I should be doing something. I am not suppose to just sit and do nothing and listen to the silence. So last night and tonight while Rich is out of town I am making the effort to sit and enjoy the silence. No playing on Facebook, no watching TV, just sit in silence - even if it is for a few moments. Usually that is all it lasts before my mind starts to race and I am over come with the need to do something like reviewing lesson plans for school, cleaning, or working on photos. It is that nagging guilt that always gets me. Where it comes from I don't know- but what I do know it is self inflicted. So I am off to enjoy a few moments of silence- before I have the overwhelming need to do something to break the silence.....
Until later......

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Melyssa, I totally understand your thinking. Unfortunately in our society we forget about stopping and taking time to renew ourselves. It is something I am working on daily. I have even been trying to turn off the radio when I have been in the car. It is one reason why I like winter in MN, it naturally makes us slow down and relax. Whereas, while we lived in CA everything just kept going, going, going. Keep telling yourself that it is okay to stop and take some quiet time for yourself.